Saturday, November 14, 2009

Who ate all the pickles? by Grant Schirpik


Here's a quick study I completed a few weeks ago. Didn't really have anything ready to paint, so grabbed the pickle jar that was keeping the bathroom door ajar, and went to work. I have not painted glass but once or twice and painting letters wet on wet was a challenge. I have learned from viewing other artists' work that anything can be a subject matter for art. It's not what you paint, but how you paint it that makes it fresh and exciting. One of my favorite paintings is of a canvas painted to look like it's wrapped in butcher paper, ready for transport. Such an ordinary thing, but painted flawlessly. I didn't really push the boundaries with this one, but sometimes it's best to just put down the glass of wine and pick up a brush and go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment